Image is Everything. Really?

Image! Image! Image! Everyone is concerned about the outward appearance. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you pay equal (if not more) attention to what's on the inside of you. There are few things worse than a pretty face with a funky attitude. Unless, of course, it's a pretty face with no home training. I'm not sure which is worse. There is so much pressure to be "pretty" these days. No wonder the cosmetic surgery market raked in $13 Billion...with a "B", 13 Billion dollars in 2007.


They (whoever that is) say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is true. However, what our eyes behold these days is quarter-dressed women with plastic breasts, little nostrils, and foreheads that mask their emotion. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to get rid of my "back fat" just like the next girl. Wouldn't I have loved to taper this marsupial pouch, a gift from my loving sons? Of course! But until I committed myself to doing two to three hundred crunches a day...every day, there's was no need to get liposuction. And I feel good about that fact that my imperfect body is all naturale' courtesy of walking, hip hop abs, and declining that brownie obsession at TGIF.  For every effort I put into the outside, I spend even more time getting this ol' girl together inside.

No I don't have the time to dwell on my back fat, muffin top, and kanga-pocket. My beauty radiates from within. Now don't get me wrong. I wear MAC, get my hair done and I'm quite aware I've got good genes. If you listen to my radio show then you've heard me say..."If I wasn't me, I'd hate me too." I don't say that because of what I am on the outside, but because I have come to love who I am on the inside.

I wouldn't change one thing about my life and that's a blessing. Millions of women would trade places with me in a NY minute (even ones with flat stomachs and round perky breasts that have never provided the life source for an infant).  My kids are incredible, not perfect, but awesome. I am following my dreams and making a living doing something I love to do. Most importantly, I am pleased with my spiritual, emotional, and personal life. The joy I have in my life makes me "beautiful."

Getting rid of my back fat won't make me walk any taller into a room than I already do. My confidence is from WHO and WHOSE I am, not what I look like. I've looked pretty much the same since I was three years old. But when I look in the mirror, I don't see the same girl. My eyes sparkle, my smile is bright even with my teeth spreading, and as long as they make a Victoria's Secret Push Up bra... and Invisalign...I'm good. It's like the Maya Angelou's poem, "Phenomenal Woman." A woman exudes beauty and power from the inside.

We can't continue to say Halle is beautiful, Beyonce is beautiful, Angelina is beautiful, without really knowing who they are on the inside. Would any happily married woman want to trade places with Halle Berry? Heck no! Her beauty wasn't enough to keep two marriages together. Even if you argue it was due to her choices, then her beauty wasn't enough to provide her with wisdom. In either case, I'll go with the Tamia school of thought..."I choose ME." I'm not going to let Vogue, BET, MTV, or CNN tell me what beauty is or isn't. Beauty is whatever I behold it to be.

Like I always say.... Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.... when there are so many other reason to hate me. Can you see me now?

No comments:

Post a Comment